Sunday, October 24, 2010

Me and Bliss!!

I should firstly say thanks to Robin Sharma and his book "The Monk who sold his Ferrari" and then to my roommate. I wondered how I will survive 18 days when she said she would leave to New Mexico for research. And when that day approached which also happened to be the day I finished reading the book.. I started wondering how it will be when I have no one talk to once I got back home.. I would have my eternal silence ruling the house. I do not like the idea of living alone. I always thought why would anyone want to do it.. Don' they need someone to yell at when things are messed up.. Don' they need someone to have evening tea with and talk about how pleasant/unpleasant the weather/day at work is.. and btw my roomie is a very nice person and we do care about each other.. and share a lot of common inerests.. Anyways coming to the point.. I thought to myself.. “I never had a room to myself before and having a house to myself would certainly be a brand new experience”.. and that experience is as follows..


After reading The Monk who sold his Ferrari.. The first thought in my mind was.. “What an amazing book”.. I mean I do not think I would be doing every single thing mentioned in the book... but there are a few points which got etched into my mind and also I started believing in them too... and those points are.. 1. Have some time for yourself.. Think and dream about what you want to be.. and always picture yourself the way you want to be after 5 years.. 2. Next point was... Don' be afraid of anything or in other words.. be fearless.. and 3. Final point was.. Set for yourself small small goals spread over time and work hard to achieve them.. and enjoy the bliss in that.

So these are the principles I adopted to follow over these two weeks and wanted to see the difference in me...I am alone once I get home from work.. and not many friends to hang out everyday.. So I thought it would be a good time to start and see what I can do with myself..  So I started setting goals.. one was to lose all the unwanted weight I gained over the past few weeks of corporate work + laziness.. That is to hit the gym everyday.. and then to enjoy every moment I have these two weeks.. not being afraid to explore anything.. and mostly not to think the mostly sought out words.."What will others think"... and dreaming is something I do almost all the time..

All these points were working so fine with me and during these days of my solitude at home.. I am enjoying every moment thoroughly.. and today of all days.. I had one of the best days with myself.. It started like a routine Sunday.. I woke up late.. made myself an awesome coffee.. (I make good coffee.. :)) Saw two of most beautiful movies.. Notting Hill and You've got Mail.. and then.. I thought.. let me take a walk.. weather so was soo good.. let me not get stuck at home.. So I went for a long walk.. of about two miles.. every step I took I enjoyed.. I had a pleasant feeling all through.. I was understanding what Robin Sharma was saying all through the book.. the fall colors all around me.. those crisp leaves on the walk ways which I enjoyed stamping and enjoying that crunchy sound.. smiled at every beautiful thing I came across.. Every moment I saw a beautiful cloud formation.. or every time a breeze playfully swept my face I could feel a bliss filling inside me by nature. Just when I realized I was thirsty.. I settled in StarBucks.. ordered Chai Tea Latte.. glass of cold water and a coffee cake.. sat down with Michael Crichton's book in my hand.. Happiness could be seen on my face.. Nature has its way of making you feel so good.. I don’t think any other feeling can compete with that.. and all these pleasant feelings were followed by nice conversation started by a stranger sitting on a table across from me.. To icing to the story.. gentle pitter patter rain outside... and the awesome smell of the land after the first few drops of rain was so overpowering and comforting at the same time.. That scent gave me inexplicable happiness and nostalgia all at the same time :)

and that is the moment I thought.. had I been not so open about walking two mile.. had I been not open to talking to a stranger whom I might never see again.. Had my roomie dint leave for that program.. Had I not read that book.. I would have definitely missed a wonderful time with myself.. Then I understood one important thing.. Taking chances.. not being afraid.. and giving Life a chance.. living alone is certainly filled with bliss.. or happiness.. or joy.. or whatever it is that you call  Being alone is something not to feel sad about.. but it is something that will give a chance to look into yourself and strike that chord which will certainly sound like harmony..

Until then.. Ciao :)

1 comment:

Viji said...

Inspiring..i cud imagine every piece u described abt that walk. Lovely ...